The Law Office of Gail Cheatwood, P.A.

Lakeland Paternity Action Lawyer | Family Law Attorney

Experienced Paternity Action Lawyer, Gail Cheatwood, providing professional Child Paternity Action, Divorce, and Family Law Attorney Legal Services in Lakeland, Winter Haven, Bartow, Polk County, Tampa, and Central Florida.

Call 863.686.0975 to speak to Lakeland Paternity Action Lawyer, Gail Cheatwood about your legal needs.

In the state of Florida, the mother is the legal guardian of the child. So basically, she is the only one that has control over what happens with a child. Even if the father’s name is on the birth certificate, he doesn’t have any enforceable rights. A father can only get enforceable rights when the court adjudicates him to be the father. For the father to obtain enforceable rights, the father must go into the circuit court and file a petition to enforce paternity.

A lot of times child support will be established if the mother is on Medicaid or gets food stamps. This type of paternity action is only to establish that he is the father, however, it does not give the father any visitation or other enforceable rights regarding the child.

So, when a mother of a child comes into my office, I let her know that she is in the driver’s seat, with total control of your child. But you should not unnecessarily try to withhold a child from the father because that will make you look bad when you go to court. The family law court does not look fondly on a parent when he or she tries to use the child as a weapon against the other parent.

The best solution is for either the father or the mother to file to establish paternity so that a parent in planned to be established and both parties know what their rights are regarding time with their child and ability to make important decisions regarding the upbringing of the child. The petition to establish paternity may be filed in the county that you live in, or the county that the child resides in, or the county that either parent lives in.

If there’s already a child support case established for the department of revenue, that maybe the best place to file a paternity case. Filing the paternity case in the same county as an existing child support case can often save time and money.

Call 863.686.0975 to schedule a confidential legal consultation with Lakeland Paternity Action Attorney, Gail Cheatwood about your legal needs.

Law Office of Gail Cheatwood, P.A.
Attorney, Gail Cheatwood | 863.686.0975

Lakeland and Polk County FL Attorney

Child Paternity Action, Divorce, Family Law Lawyer in the Lakeland and Central Florida Area, including Polk County Florida, Lakeland, Winter Haven, Bartow, Auburndale, Babson Park, Bowling Green, Bradely Junction, Brewster, Combee Settlement, Crooked Lake Park, Crystal Lake, Cypress Gardens, Davenport, Dundee, Eagle Lake, Fort Meade, Frostproof, Fussels Corner, Gibsonia, Green Pond, Haines City, Highland Park, Highlands City, Hillcrest Heights, Jan Phyl Village, Inwood, Kathleen, Lake Alfred, Lake Hamilton, Lake Wales, Lakeland Highlands, Mulberry, Polk City, Willow Oak, Wahneta, Waverley.

Disclaimer: The content on this website is for informational purposes only. This site and the information contained within is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be. Contacting the THE LAW OFFICE OF GAIL CHEATWOOD, P.A., does not create an attorney-client relationship. Internet users should not act upon information contained on this site without first seeking advice from an attorney. Please refrain from sending any confidential information to through this website until an attorney-client relationship is established.

© Copyright 2007-2023. The Law Office of Gail Cheatwood, P.A.. All Rights Reserved.